AlterNet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AlterNet

This is supposed to act as a personal database/collection for links to certain topics, but feel free to join and discuss. Predominant languages spoken include English, German, Spanish, Dutch etc.

Game of thrones metaphor

Mclovin
    Mclovin
    Admin

Game of thrones metaphor Empty Game of thrones metaphor

Post by Mclovin Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:16 am

So in my last "smoke and rewatching season 3 of GoT" session I had a sudden drift of thought and ended up seeing the GoT story arc as a metaphor... and even though with a sober mind it made less sense i still appreciate how everyone can perceive something differently..

So to the metaphor in chronological order (warning may contain a few non vital spoilers):

In the GoT story there was a "cataclysm", volcanic event, 400 years ago which led to the demise of the great targaryen empire. I can imagine this being a metaphor for the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs and reduced the biodiversity (or slowed down our evolutionary development) accordingly.

The "magical" trees in the north that used to grow all over the place were cut down and their "magic" slowly forgotten. I see this as a metaphor for how we are currently loosing our connection with nature - how all the focus on non essential things makes us forget the "magic" that nature gives us.

The dorthraki believe that moongrass, a plant that kills every other plant around it, will at one spread all over the world and cause the end of the world - this can be seen as a direct equivalent of the fears present in people nowadays concerning genetically modified food (and especially its uncontrollable spread into nature).

To finish of, in GoT there are white walkers that appear every couple of thousand years, which in perspective to how long their world exists could be the equivalent of a couple of million years for earth. This i saw as a metaphor for the ice ages that happen naturally when there are drastic changes in our global temperature.

If anyone care to add

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:08 am